Mr Jonathan Clarke
BSc, MD, FRCOphth
Mr Jonathan Clarke is a well renowned and highly-skilled cataract and glaucoma consultant in the UK, having dedicated his career to ophthalmology with a long-standing interest in clinical trials and improving patient care standards. In addition to treating patients at London Vision Clinic, he also consults at Moorfields where he is the Joint Director of the North Division.
Mr Clarke completed his medical training at Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School in 1996 where he was also awarded a biochemistry medical science degree.
He first joined Moorfields Eye Hospital in 2004 as a research fellow and in 2008, he became a clinical fellow. He has subsequently held a consultant role at Moorfields since 2009. In 2010, he earned his Doctorate of Medicine from the Institute of Ophthalmology.
Today he is Clinical Trials Lead for the glaucoma service with responsibility for delivering clinical trials for new pharmaceutical treatments and recently, Mr Clarke has been involved in testing and setting up new models of care including virtual clinics. He joined the team at London Vision Clinic in 2022.
Notably, Mr Clarke has keen research interests around glaucoma surgical outcomes, wound healing after glaucoma surgery, aftercare management and clinical trials in new glaucoma treatments.
He has won several awards for excellence in his field including:
- Medical School prizes
- The Wellcome Trust Students Elective Prize for elective project design
- British Medical and Dental Students’ Trust Elective Award
- Ophthalmology Prize
- Ester C. Seifert Paediatric Prize
Mr Clarke is registered as a specialist in Ophthalmology with the General Medical Council and is a fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
He is a member of the following professional organisations;
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Panel member of the Secretary for State for Transport’s honorary advisory panel on driving and visual disorders
- Previously an expert committee member for the European Vision Institute Clinical Research Network
- Glaucoma UK charity, clinical advisory panel member