A committed specialist
Mr Carp has always been passionate about ophthalmology, and began his specialist career in South Africa as an Ophthalmic Senior House Officer, followed by a year as a Research Officer in Ophthalmology at the University of the Witwatersrand.
In 2000, he began his four-year specialist registrar training at Africa’s largest eye hospital, the St John Eye Hospital in Johannesburg. He was soon demonstrating the talent and dedication that would characterise his career, receiving the Tetski Patterson Award for clinical research, as well as the Elli Dahan Registrar of the Year award for his outstanding performance.
Since his move to the UK, Mr Carp has worked as a doctor at a number of leading hospitals, including
- The Western Eye Hospital.
- Maidstone General Hospital.
- Preston Royal Hospital.
- Worcester Royal Hospital.
He was also selected for a prestigious one-year fellowship in Cornea and Anterior Segment Pathology and Surgery at London’s Western Eye Hospital. After that, he undertook an 18-month fellowship in Laser Refractive Surgery at London Vision Clinic with our founder, Professor Dan Reinstein.
Professor Reinstein was impressed enough to appoint Mr Carp as the second member of the London Vision Clinic surgical team. Today, he performs LASIK eye surgery, ReLEx SMILE and PRK at the London Vision Clinic.
“Knowing that I’m working to the best medical standard in the industry allows me to live in accordance with my values of accountability and responsibility,” Mr Carp says. “I’m using the best available technology (beyond the industry standard), and being able to apply my medical treatments to the highest possible ethical standard is highly motivating.”
A leader in the field
Mr. Carp is on the Specialist Register with the General Medical Council (GMC), and is a member of the South African Medical and Dental Council. He is also a Fellow of the College of Surgeons in Ophthalmology (South Africa), and a member of many professional organisations, including:
- The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS).
- The British Society for Refractive Surgery (BSRS).
- Council member of the Medical Contact Lens and Ocular Surface Association (MCLOSA).
- The Ophthalmological Society of South Africa (OSSA).
- The South African Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- The South African Society for the Prevention of Blindness (providing cataract surgery to poor communities).
- Mr. Carp regularly attends national and international meetings and congresses. In recent years, he has presented to the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (2006) and the 2006 & 2007 International Congress of Corneal Cross-Linking meetings.
A patient’s perspective
Mr Carp has an invaluable empathy with his patients, having had LASIK eye surgery with Prof Reinstein himself in 2006.
Mr Carp is not only a laser eye surgeon specialist, he stays busy away from the Clinic too. In his spare time, he enjoys travelling with his wife Deidre, and is passionate about fly-fishing, scuba diving, and photography. He is also a devotee of Formula 1 racing, and enjoys 4×4 excursions.
Find out more about the pioneering work done by Mr Glenn Carp and his fellow LASIK eye surgeons.