Your payment was successful and you are now registered!
You will receive payment confirmation from PayPal, you may need to check your junk folder. You will also receive email confirmation from our team shortly.
The aim of this course is to provide corneal refractive surgeons who are interested in starting or are already performing LASIK, PRESBYOND® Laser Blended Vision and small incision lenticule extraction (SMILE) with a detailed description of all aspects of the three procedures.
The focus of the course will be on practical details and surgical pearls set against the backdrop of our experience of over 30,000 LASIK, 10,000 PRESBYOND and 8,000 SMILE procedures and research. Essentially, we consider this to be a surgical video-fellowship that enables the attendee to learn from complications as well as successes. Each aspect of the course is taught in granular detail so that the attendee will feel very well equipped to make improvements to their current practice or starting to perform LASIK, PRESBYOND and SMILE with a wide knowledge base to reduce the learning curve.
To read more about the previous Forefront of Refractive surgery courses on SMILE, PRESBYOND and LASIK click here.
The educational content of the course has been approved by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education, with a total of 15 CME points available (can be converted to AMA PRA Category 1 Credit).
Dan Z Reinstein, MD, MA(Cantab), FRCSC, DABO, FRCOphth, FEBO, PGDip CRS, Cert LRS Glenn I Carp, MBBCh, FC Ophth (SA), PGDip CRS, Cert LRS Timothy J Archer, MA(Oxon), DipCompSci(Cantab), PhD Alastair Stuart, BMBS, FRCOphth, PGDip CRS, Cert LRS Ryan Vida, OD, FAAO
Photos by Arvinder Marwaha (www.arvinder.photography)
Module 1: Expert considerations on LASIK and surface procedures
- The importance of standardization
- Epithelial thickness mapping for keratoconus screening
- Accuracy and repeatability considerations in LASIK
- LASIK flap creation
- Surgical technique for a routine LASIK procedure
- Prevention and management of microfolds
- Management of epithelial ingrowth
- Summary of intraoperative complications
- Summary of postoperative complications
- Surface ablation procedures
Module 2: Treatment of presbyopia in the absence of cataract
- Concept and mechanism of PRESBYOND® Laser Blended Vision
- Review and comparison of available treatment options for presbyopia
- Manifest refraction and binocular balance protocol
- Modified binocular vision tolerance testing protocol
- Postoperative management, counselling, and adaptation
- Lifetime corneal retreatment planning and retreatment technique
- Considerations for cataract surgery maximising spectacle independence by EDoF
Module 3: The surgeon’s guide to SMILE
- Treatment planning and parameter selection for SMILE
- Patient and laser preparation, hypnothesis
- Docking, centration and cyclotorsion control
- Surgical technique for a routine SMILE procedure
- Energy and spot spacing settings
- Suction stability management (suction loss and eye movements)
- Management of black spots
- Management of false planes
- Management of intraoperative complications
- Management of postoperative complications
- Routine retreatment options after SMILE
Module 4: Advanced diagnostics and therapeutic refractive surgery
- Outcomes analysis and nomogram development
- Diagnostics: Topography and tomography
- Diagnostics: Aberrometry and quality of vision
- Diagnostics: Applications of epithelial thickness mapping
- Diagnostics: Anatomical cross-sectional imaging
- Therapeutic refractive surgery: Topography-guided custom treatments
- Therapeutic refractive surgery: Trans-epithelial PTK treatments
- Ophthalmologist £1,250
- Optometrist £850
- Trainee ophthalmologist £500
- Full course £1,250
- LASIK £500
- SMILE and LASIK £950
- Presbyopia and LASIK £700
- Diagnostics and therapeutics £700
Members of the Refractive Surgery Alliance (RSA) receive a 10% discount.
Repeat attendees receive a 50% discount.
We are privileged to say that we often receive feedback that this was “the best course I have ever attended in my career.” For the previous online course held in June 2020, 85% of delegates rated the course content as excellent: