Want to know more?
To have a chat with us about retinal treatments or to book a consultation, contact our friendly team.
Professor Paulo E. Stanga. Retinal Surgery Specialist
There is no one more qualified, or, for that matter, who we’d like more, to be our Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon than Prof. Paulo E. Stanga.
A leading expert in vitreoretinal disease and surgery, Prof. Stanga routinely practices within the private sector, treating patients of all ages who suffer from a range of conditions affecting the back of the eye.
The main areas of concern for vitreoretinal surgeons are the vitreous, retina and macula. As incredibly important components of the visual system, vitreoretinal surgery is a highly specialised field that encompasses a number of surgical interventions designed to improve or restore the functioning of these parts.
Some of the common reasons you may need a vitreoretinal surgeon include in treating retinal detachment, macular degeneration, or complications relating to diabetic retinopathy.
And when it comes to finding a vitreoretinal surgeon to treat such problems, Prof. Stanga’s expertise, experience, and credentials make him one of the most successful and sought-after in the UK.
Working out of the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital since 2003, Prof. Stanga entered the field of Ophthalmology over 26 years ago. Throughout his long and prosperous career, he’s held many prominent positions at leading institutions such as the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Moorfields Eye Hospital, New York Hospital, and Cornell University Medical College.
It was back when he was studying medicine that Prof. Stanga first took an interest in ocular surgery, drawn in by its complexity and artistic nature. Eager to put his talent to good use and develop his skills, Prof. Stanga took a focus on retinal surgery — the toughest sub-speciality of Opthalmology.
With his unique experience and dedication to his craft, Prof. Stanga has become one of the go-to surgeons in the UK for ocular trauma. He regularly works with athletes and sportspeople from the worlds of rugby, football, and polo, them relying on him to restore their precious vision so they can return to the game, and Prof. Stanga enjoy contributing to the sports he loves.
As well as being a specialist in vitreoretinal surgery and ocular trauma, Dr Stangas is also well-known as a cataract surgeon. Offering cataract surgery himself and specialising in the medical and surgical management of complications of cataract surgery.
Being a master of many disciplines — a consultant ophthalmologist, Professor of retinal regeneration, and a vitreoretinal surgeon — Dr Stangas long list of specialities and qualifications is as unique as it is impressive:
Prof. Stanga’s Specialities:
- Ophthalmology: medical and surgical retina, eye trauma and cataract surgery and its complications
- Cataract and Lens extraction surgery: Phacoemulsification surgery with implantation of Intraocular Lens
- Complications of Cataract Surgery
- Laser Capsulotomy (YAG LASER)
- Wet Age-related Macular Degeneration: Intravitreal injections (anti-VEGF; Avastin®, Lucentis®, Eylea®)
- Diabetic Retinopathy and Maculopathy: Intravitreal injections (anti-VEGF: Avastin®, Lucentis®, Eylea® or Steroid: Triamcinolone®, Triesence®, Ozurdex®), LASER (PASCAL® laser) or Vitrectomy surgery
- Retinal Vein Occlusion: Laser (PASCAL® LASER) and /or intravitreal injections
- Retinal Tears: LASER retinopexy
- Retinal Detachment: Cryo-Buckle or Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery
- Macular Hole Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery without prolonged positioning or intravitreal injection of ocriplasmin (Jetrea®)
- Epiretinal Membranes (macular pucker): Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery
- Vitreous Floaters: Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery
- Retinitis Pigmentosa: Argus II® Electronic Retinal Implant (Bionic Eye) for Artificial Vision
Prof. Stanga’s Qualifications
- British Medical Association
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- America Academy of Ophthalmologists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retinal Specialists
- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
Prof. Stanga is Fully Registered Medical Practitioner with Specialist Registration, GMC, UK
GMC Reference No 4759748
In the academic world, Prof. Stanga has made significant contributions towards the fields of retinal imaging and tissue-sparing retinal laser techniques. He’s also played a pivotal role in the introduction and development of new technologies for vitrectomy surgery such as Small Gauge Sutureless and Hypersonic Vitrectomy, as well as the Argus II® Electronic Epiretinal Implant (bionic eye) for artificial vision.
His pioneering work on Argus II is one of his most recent and most groundbreaking initiatives. In 2016, Prof. Stanga set up and carried out the first-ever implantations of an electronic retinal implant in age-related macular degeneration. A study that resulted in the first people in the world to have integrated artificial vision.
However, the Argus II is still only a scratch on the surface of Prof. Stanga’s influence on the development of Opthalmology. Among other achievements, he also introduced OCT into the clinical setting in the UK (1998), Pascal® Laser into the EU (2006), pioneered Optos® Ultra Wide-Field Imaging (2006), and introduced Swept-Source OCT into the EU (2012).
In recognition of his extensive work in the field, Prof. Stanga has received several international accolades. Among others, they include: the prestigious Award for Outstanding Contribution to Ophthalmology in Singapore (Singapore, 2006); the Award in Appreciation for Support and Far Reaching Contributions at the NGH Eye Institute (Singapore, 2008); and the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (USA, 2011).
To continue pushing the boundaries of retinal surgery and develop new, more effective treatments, Prof. Stanga set up the Manchester Vision Regeneration (MVR) Lab and the Clinical, Surgical and Research Fellowship Program. Together, the two initiatives focus on driving innovation and developing new diagnostic and treatment devices & techniques.
Interested in finding out more about Prof. Stanga and if you’d be a suitable candidate for retinal surgery? Contact us today and speak with a member of our friendly team.