Spring Season Fruits And Vegetables For A Healthier You
The sun is out and it seems as though spring has finally arrived. This season is a wonderful period to take advantage of the renewal and transformation vibe it brings. It is one of the best times to revitalize your well-being and rejuvenate your health.
Likewise, it is a good time to go on a healthy diet and enjoy the season’s fruits and vegetables.
To keep your menu unique and your taste buds excited, it’s good to keep a seasonal food guide. Here are some of the fruits and vegetables that are known to grow during spring with their corresponding nutritional value and benefits.
- Avocado. Also called as alligator pear, the avocado is known for its high fat and fibre content. Moreover, it contains lutein, a type of carotenoid, which serves as an antioxidant and protects the eyes against diseases.
- Cucumber. Cucumber is a good source of Vitamin C and helps cure hangover or headache. It also contains 95% water, which aids in eliminating body toxins, rehydration, weight loss and digestion.
- Papaya. Papaya is rich in antioxidants that help fight cancer, strokes and heart attacks. It is also known to treat digestive disorders because it contains papain, a proteolytic enzyme, that helps break down proteins in food for a better digestion.
- Pineapple. Pineapple is a popular tropical fruit that is rich in vitamins, minerals, calories and fibre. It is also known to contain manganese, a type of body mineral that helps keep bones and body tissues to grow strong.
- Strawberries. Strawberries are fancied because of its bright red colour and aroma. It is made and processed into various food products such as jams, ice cream, syrup and even medicine. This fruit is packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants that combats cancer and tumours; and for protection against eye diseases.
- Artichokes. Artichokes are also a rich source of antioxidants that can treat and prevent cancer and other diseases. It also contains minerals like potassium, which helps control the heart rate and blood pressure; and copper that aids in red blood cell production.
- Asparagus. Asparagus contains protein, fibre and inulin, a prebiotic, that helps the growth of good bacteria for digestion and prevents colon cancer. It has Vitamin K, which helps strengthen bones and blood clotting. Furthermore, it has Vitamin B that is known to regulate the levels of blood sugar in the body.
- Beets. Beets are rich in folic acid, fibre and potassium. Eating beets can also protect the body against heart attack. It doesn’t just grow during spring but also all year round.
- Kale. Kale is a green leafy vegetable that helps boost the immune system. It also contains Vitamin K, which helps in strengthening the bones and omega-3 fatty acids that helps relieve stiff joints and arthritis.
- Spinach. Another green leafy vegetable, Spinach is packed with flavonoids that combat free radicals. The antioxidants contained in the spinach protect the cardiovascular and digestive systems. Let this season transform you to become a better and healthier individual with the help of these healthy selections of fruits and vegetables for your spring diet.
Knowledge Dispels Fear
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join over 5,000 people already receiving the very best advice on Laser Eye Surgery ...