What Should I do to Prepare For Laser Eye Surgery?
You’re going into the clinic soon to have a life-changing procedure. Safe to say, you want to be prepared.
Not only do you not want to overlook or forget to do something you should have and look silly, more importantly, you don’t want to do anything that could impact the treatment itself.
Fortunately, as Prof Reinstein points out in the video below, in preparing for your treatment, there’s really nothing you need to lose sleep over.
In fact, prior to the actual procedure, there isn’t much you really need to do to prepare yourself at all.
There are a few things, though, which you’ll be made well aware of during your thorough assessment process. For instance, although you might want to smell good for your surgeon, it’s advised to avoid cologne or perfumes, as well as hairspray and other alcohol-containing beauty products, on the day of the treatment.
Ladies and men alike are also advised to remove any eye makeup, including mascara, eyeliner, and eye shadow, and to avoid wearing any woollen clothing (the clinic is always nice and warm).
Things to Remember Before Your Laser Eye Surgery
On top of those mentioned above, if you really want to be prepared, you can get a headstart and consider our quick prep checklist for Laser Eye Surgery.
Outside of sticking to the checklist below, the main thing you can do to prepare for your treatment is to relax as much as you can. And should you have any questions, just ask — no matter how trivial, it’s important that you’re informed and happy about the whole Laser Eye Surgery process from start to finish.
Knowledge Dispels Fear
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join over 5,000 people already receiving the very best advice on Laser Eye Surgery ...
- Do not wear perfume or cologne: they can contain alcohol, as can hair products such as hair spray or mousse.
- Remove all eye makeup a minimum of 24 hours before surgery. Please ensure your face and eyes are complimentary from all makeup on the day of surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothing and avoid anything that may generate lint such as wool.
- Depending on your occupation, you may need to arrange to be away from work for up to four days following LASIK, two days for ReLEx SMILE, and up to fourteen days following PRK. Please speak to an optometrist regarding your individual case.
- Arrange transport, you certainly will not be able to drive yourself home and you may find public transport to be tiring.
- If you are travelling far, you may find it more convenient to arrange local accommodation. We are happy to help you arrange this.
- Avoid alcohol 24 hours before and 48 hours after your surgery as this tends to dehydrate your eyes.
- Please do not bring young children or infants or pet iguana with you to the clinic.
- Just before your procedure, we will ask you to sign your informed consent form and to pay the balance of your treatment fee.
- Bring your diary if you would like to make your aftercare appointments while you are at the clinic.
Laser Eye Surgery is a life-changing treatment. Make sure you’re fully prepared and leave us a comment below with a question or speak with one of our small team of friendly experts.