Why Does the Cost of Laser Eye Surgery Differ Between Clinics?
If you’ve been thinking about having Laser Eye Surgery, the first thing you probably did was type the words into your search engine. If this was the case, it is likely the first results you saw were adverts and sponsored pages all appearing to offer the treatment at a ridiculously cheap price. If you managed to scroll past these initial results, you may well have noticed a huge variation in the prices at different clinics in the UK. So, why is this?
Walk down any high street in the country these days and you’re likely to eventually come across a Laser Eye Surgery clinic. The prices in these high street clinics can often stop you in your tracks as you contemplate life with clear vision at an affordable price. But how can these clinics offer such low prices? And, more importantly, are they for real?
How Much Does Laser Eye Surgery Cost?
The cost of Laser Eye Surgery can vary significantly. In fact, costs can span from around £600 to £6000 for treatment on both eyes. This may seem crazy, but the price of treatment is generally indicative of the quality of treatment – that is, what is offered as standard, the technology used, and the capabilities of the clinic.
There are a number of areas that can have a significant effect on price:
- Standard of pre-operative testing
- One-to-one time with your surgeon and other clinic staff
- Technology used
- Knowledge and expertise of the surgeons
- Standard of follow-up care
- Inclusion of “extras”
Cutting back on these important elements of treatment can help clinics to reduce their costs.
In the video below, Professor Dan Reinstein explains more.
Low Prices, Explained
Anyway, let’s get back to those super low prices – is it really possible to have Laser Eye Surgery for just £595?
Well, the answer is yes and no. You see, the low prices quoted are usually only valid for a small number of patients.
First of all, it’s worth noting that high-street clinics’ advertised prices usually begin with “from”. For example: “from £595… per eye”. Of course, the majority of patients require correction in both eyes, so what was £595 is now £1190 – and this price is still only available for certain patients.
The lowest price – which is also often the advertised price – refers to the most basic Laser Eye Surgery treatment available. The type of treatment is generally only suitable for patients with very low prescriptions, and even then, added “extras” will still be needed.
At some clinics, important parts of Laser Eye Surgery treatment, including the consultation and screening appointment and follow-up appointments may all incur an additional charge. It is also common for clinics to charge extra for wavefront-guided treatment.
High-street clinics tend to treat a much higher number of patients, but they are often unable to treat patients with higher prescriptions. This is because they don’t have access to the same technology and expertise that are generally found at private clinics.
Laser Eye Surgery at London Vision Clinic
At London Vision Clinic, we offer every patient the full package – one price with no hidden extras. This includes:
- Rigorous screening and pre-operative testing: Our no-obligation consultation and extensive screening appointment (it takes 2-3 hours!) ensures that our patients receive a treatment that is suitable and completely tailored to them – at no extra cost. (Learn more about the Initial Screening).
- One-to-one time with your surgeon: Every patient will meet their surgeon prior to their procedure, giving them an opportunity to ask any questions and voice any concerns.
- The use of the latest technology: We have access to the latest, state-of-the-art Laser Eye Surgery technology – our founder and director, Professor Reinstein, even helped to develop some of it! This allows us to offer a wider range of treatments than other clinics.
- Thorough and personal follow-up care: Following the procedure, our patients are given the personal phone number of their surgeon. A number of follow-up appointments and ongoing aftercare (including access to required medication and eye drops), and even complementary enhancements!
- “Extras”: We offer a number of services that are considered “extras” at other clinics, including wavefront analysis and guided treatment if required.
We do not upsell to our patients: we clearly define our prices upfront to ensure there are no surprises. For more information on our fees, see below.
If you would like to learn more about Laser Eye Surgery treatment at London Vision Clinic, get in touch with one of our friendly clinic coordinators today. Alternatively, Book a no-obligation consultation to find out if Laser Eye Surgery is suitable for you.
Laser Eye Treatment Fees start from £5,900 for both eyes. Very complex treatments may cost more.